Sunday 11 September 2011

9/11

Speaking as someone who lives in the UK and at the time (and still!) tucked away in the North West of England it seems inappropriate to comment about this day. However it has become known as "The Day that Changed the World"- So how can one ignore it?


Remembering it - I was at work when the news broke and was told by a co worker "a plane has crashed into the Twin Towers". I said in utter disbelief  "you mean a light Aircraft?". "No a Passenger Jet". I replied "you must have that wrong"-then I looked at his Computer as the second plane struck. It seemed beyond comprehension-the images like a disaster movie-totally unreal.


After work I went round to see a friend who took on an odd attitude "well you can't say it's not unexpected". His view was born out of ignorance, out of the anti American sentiments held by many at the time in the UK, and by the distance in both time and geography. As soon as the heart braking personal stories began to be told his view changed radically into accepting the event as the cruel work of cowards and cold blooded murderers.


Over the next few days I and many others had a real sense of dread over the action the US would take to seek vengeance. American was understandably after blood, and it seemed like even more innocent people would suffer and die, as if 3000 wasn't enough. Ever since we Christians burned that library in Constantinople in 1204 relations with the Muslims have been pretty strained. In 1988 Muslims did some book burning of their own almost on my doorstep, so three years later things looked pretty bleak all round.  


Ten Years on and especially on this day- it's wrong to consider the post 9/11 outcomes. Today is about those people who had life stolen from them and the loss and pain endured by their loved ones. Some things are beyond retribution. Two days before 9/11-in what seems like a supreme irony- I recorded from my LP's this track by Al Wilson. I forgot I'd recorded it until a week later and when I played it back the lyrics took on a deeper significance- it has never sounded the same.


....................................................................................................................................................
May they rest in peace.